John Dahlbäck At the Gun Show
- Words: Anna Balkrishna
- Label: Pickadoll Music
- XLR8R Rating: 5/10
It's definitely a crapshoot when the freakishly prolific John Dahlbäck decides to release a proper album. The best? Or just the rest of the Swedish tech-house producer's sprawling catalog of dirty, rave-tastic 12-inches? At the Gun Show promises some lip-biting bass-bin moments: "Don't Speak" and "See My Show" are chock full of the most awesomely jagged analog synths and filtered arpeggios this side of Get Physical. Many tracks, though, are short on memorable hooks and long on siren effects and dated, faux-creepy vocals ("See My Show" being an unfortunate offender), making the album a tad wearying.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player