John Dahlbäck Winners & Fools
- Words: Tony Ware
- Label: Pickadoll Music
- XLR8R Rating: 6.5/10
Following several releases saturated with artillery imagery, prolific Swedish DJ/producer John Dahlbäck brandishes this fourth full-length (including one mix showcasing his Pickadoll label). But from the sound of things, Dahlbäck’s got a fistful of Skittles more than bullets; synth lines rife with portamento streak the first formal cut, “Gold and Fear,” like candy shells do a sweaty palm. Aggressive is not an adjective appropriate for this release, unless the description is to be aggressively poppy. Whereas 2005’s Shades of a Shadow showcased his deep tech-house side, and the subsequent Man From the Fall on the jittery prog tip, this album skews unabashedly commercial (“Sidewalk,” “World of Love”) next to waxy big-room tracks (“Honeywell,” “I Had a Feeling”). This is Dahlbäck at his most unctuous and rambunctious.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- MP3Desto "Healing (Alternate Take)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player