Joris Voorn Balance 014
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: EQ
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Dutch DJ/producer Joris Voorn has taken the desktop-DJ movement a few feet forward on his contribution to EQ’s Balance series, blending samples of more than 100 tracks into two techno/house mixes that often resemble reunions for lost relatives. The synth melody from F.U.S.E.’s “Into the Space” fits well into the bare chords of Aphex Twin’s ambient classic “Heliosphan,” while the swooning synth-scape of Goldie oldie “Timeless” seamlessly flows through two Sascha Funke tracks. A few too many chill-out interludes sometimes cause his mixes to lag, and not every pick is a winner (his choice of Spinvis’ melodramatic “Mare Figoris” is worthy of a telenovela soap opera), yet Voorn is still moving into a ripe direction for DJ mixology.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player