Joris Voorn Balance 014
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: EQ
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Dutch DJ/producer Joris Voorn has taken the desktop-DJ movement a few feet forward on his contribution to EQ’s Balance series, blending samples of more than 100 tracks into two techno/house mixes that often resemble reunions for lost relatives. The synth melody from F.U.S.E.’s “Into the Space” fits well into the bare chords of Aphex Twin’s ambient classic “Heliosphan,” while the swooning synth-scape of Goldie oldie “Timeless” seamlessly flows through two Sascha Funke tracks. A few too many chill-out interludes sometimes cause his mixes to lag, and not every pick is a winner (his choice of Spinvis’ melodramatic “Mare Figoris” is worthy of a telenovela soap opera), yet Voorn is still moving into a ripe direction for DJ mixology.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player