Joris Voorn Balance 014
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: EQ
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Dutch DJ/producer Joris Voorn has taken the desktop-DJ movement a few feet forward on his contribution to EQ’s Balance series, blending samples of more than 100 tracks into two techno/house mixes that often resemble reunions for lost relatives. The synth melody from F.U.S.E.’s “Into the Space” fits well into the bare chords of Aphex Twin’s ambient classic “Heliosphan,” while the swooning synth-scape of Goldie oldie “Timeless” seamlessly flows through two Sascha Funke tracks. A few too many chill-out interludes sometimes cause his mixes to lag, and not every pick is a winner (his choice of Spinvis’ melodramatic “Mare Figoris” is worthy of a telenovela soap opera), yet Voorn is still moving into a ripe direction for DJ mixology.
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player