Joyce & Banda Maluca Just a Litlle Bit Crazy
- Words: Joe Rice
- Label: Far O
No Astrud Gilberto, Joyce's 24 albums as a performer and songwriter balanced her wide-ranged vocal talent with bossa rhythms and added a welcome feminist voice to Brazilian music-something revolutionary at the time of her 1968 debut. Her latest is a playful album, soft and lilting, as birdsong woodwinds soar and dodge her dusky voice in light-hearted counterpoint. Joined by Brazilian percussionist Robertinho Silva and legendary drummer Tutty Moreno, she brought in Bugge Wesseltoft from Norway to add his own tilt to the combo, resulting in sly sci-fi touches that provide currency to timeless arrangements. Her reinterpretation of "A Hard Day's Night" as a summery lullaby is one of many standouts.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Aashton "I've Had Enough"
- NewsStream 'Gem Drops Four' Featuring The Range, Pixelord, Natasha Kmeto, Anenon, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player