The Juan Maclean The Future Will Come
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
- Label: DFA
- XLR8R Rating: 8.5/10
Last year’s “Happy House” single hinted that great things were on the way from The Juan MacLean, but The Future Will Come is simply stellar. On its sophomore album, the NYC outfit has created a near-perfect synthesis of disco, electro, and classic house. From the synth arpeggio and cosmic swirl of “The Simple Life” to the vocoder-powered stomp of “A New Bot” to the acid-tinged workout of “No Time,” the album is impeccably produced and bursting with dancefloor-ready tunes. The Future Will Come also finds Nancy Whang stepping into a starring role and basically assuming lead vocal duties—she’s especially strong on “One Day,” a boy/girl duet where her voice slides in nicely between the song’s urgent thump and string flourishes.
- NewsStream Submerse's Upcoming Debut Full-Length, 'Slow Waves'
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Rubadub
- NewsCheck Out Another Track from Rustie's Upcoming LP for Warp
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsRicardo Villalobos Readies 'Voodog' 12"; Preview It Now
XLR8R Downloads Player