The Juan Maclean The Future Will Come
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
- Label: DFA
- XLR8R Rating: 8.5/10
Last year’s “Happy House” single hinted that great things were on the way from The Juan MacLean, but The Future Will Come is simply stellar. On its sophomore album, the NYC outfit has created a near-perfect synthesis of disco, electro, and classic house. From the synth arpeggio and cosmic swirl of “The Simple Life” to the vocoder-powered stomp of “A New Bot” to the acid-tinged workout of “No Time,” the album is impeccably produced and bursting with dancefloor-ready tunes. The Future Will Come also finds Nancy Whang stepping into a starring role and basically assuming lead vocal duties—she’s especially strong on “One Day,” a boy/girl duet where her voice slides in nicely between the song’s urgent thump and string flourishes.
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player