Junior Boys Begone Dull Care
- Words: Joe Colly
- Label: Domino
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Recorded with its members on different continents—singer Jeremy Greenspan in Ontario and programmer Matthew Didemus in Berlin—sophisticated electro-pop duo Junior Boys’ third outing initially feels handicapped by that distance. Begone Dull Carelacks the immediacy and hooks of previous standouts “Birthday” and “In the Morning” and seems sluggish despite its short length. Yet successive spins reveal a nuanced grower. What at first sounded lethargic is simply elongated and more delicately detailed. Opener “Parallel Lines” and “Sneak a Picture”—with its sparkly synths and deliberate bass—best showcase the Boys’ ability to succeed in this looser format. This isn’t the album you expected from them, but it’s as elegant as anything they’ve done to this point.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player