Junk Science Gran'Dad's Nerve Tonic
- Words: Max Herman
- Label: Embedded-Definitive Jux
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Junk Science proudly reps the more easygoing side of Brooklyn hip-hop, in which lo-fi beats and everyday raps are customary. Following up their well-received debut, Feeding Einstein, MC Baje One and beatmaker Snafu return for more calm and clever joints that may not get you hype, but are sure to spark thought and a few head nods. While Snafu provides the laid-back, sample-centric grooves, Baje works his storytelling magic on songs like "Jerry McGuire"-a vivid vision about quitting a dead-end job. It's not too often that hip-hop so real can provide such an escape.
- PodcastGerd Janson
- FeatureReal Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- NewsListen to Slam's Upcoming 'Reverse Proceed' LP for Soma
- ReviewFantastic Mr Fox "You Turn"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Caribou, Todd Terje, Gerd Janson, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player