k-the-i??? Broken Love Letter
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Mush
One of the strangest hip-hop records ever, Broken Love Letter isn't an album so much as therapy for a man traumatized by relationship problems. k-the-i???'s creepily obsessive digs at the fairer sex are spit in a manic-panic state, his pained urgency negating any sense of familiar flow. k's literally off-beat style is distinctive, but it's an acquired taste. Much better is the music, which juxtaposes subliminal snippets of easy listening with the sort of chaotically teeming, cacophonous funk that makes El-P's joints sound like P.M. Dawn. Think: Bomb Squad producing cLOUDDEAD, with a romantic loser on the mic.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
XLR8R Downloads Player