K-the-I??? Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow
- Words: Brigid Moore
- Label: Mush
- XLR8R Rating: 6.5/10
It’s unusual for an album title to accurately describe its songs, but the past, present, and future of hip-hop is exactly what you’ll get on K-the-I???’s sophomore release. The Massachusetts native raps Public Enemy-style about his recent move to the West Coast and various romances gone wrong, all propelled by pulsing beats and heavy booms. K-the-I???’s commanding lyrics are bolstered by Thavius Beck’s gritty production and appearances by Busdriver, Subtitle, and Anti-Pop Consortium’s High Priest. At times, the production shines with electro-dance tendencies (“Cell Shaded/Daydreams/Nightmares” and “Man or Machine”), although it occasionally strays into some tired late-’90s R&B territory (“Just Listen”). Nonetheless, K-the-I??? has a bright future ahead.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- NewsWatch the Video for Clark's "Riff Through the Fog"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
XLR8R Downloads Player