Kabuki Signal to Noise
- Words: Tyra Bangs
- Label: Combination
When artists make tunes to fulfill their own DJ box-not those of the scene's "top jocks"-it shows. German drum & bass head Kabuki (who also records under the Japanese-themed aliases Makai and Megashira) does just that on Signal to Noise, a record that grounds itself in genteel, jazzy and pristine-sounding d&b but also plumbs broken beat and hip-hop flavors. Melding the cool (but not clinical) vibes of Detroit techno with breakbeats, Kabuki alternately hits (with the quirky broken electro of "After the Fire" and "Logic Bomb") and misses-vocal jungle tracks "Speed of Sound" and "Spend the Night Remix" are too light in the loafer-but ultimately pulls off his signature sound.
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player