Kashmere Stage Band Texas Thunder Soul 1968-1974
- Words: Jesse Serwer
- Label: Now Again
There's no question, after listening to Texas Thunder Soul, that thirty-odd years ago, Houston's Kashmere High School had one of the meanest school bands of all time. The revolving crew of 14-to-18-year-olds rips through funk nuggets like Dennis Coffey's "Scorpio" and Isaac Hayes' "Do Your Thing" (and some originals) as if their last names were Stubblefield, Parker, and Wesley. But does this archaeological dig have to cover two discs, with studio and live versions of many of the same songs? Just sayin'. Essentially, this is highly funky material from high school kids who definitely knew something about jammin' on the one.
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsIkonika Streams New Track from Upcoming Hyperdub EP, Drops New Mix
- NewsWatch a New Video for Fatima's "Rest in Peace"
- MP3Remote "Alcyone (Matt Walsh Remix)"
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player