Kashmere Stage Band Texas Thunder Soul 1968-1974
- Words: Jesse Serwer
- Label: Now Again
There's no question, after listening to Texas Thunder Soul, that thirty-odd years ago, Houston's Kashmere High School had one of the meanest school bands of all time. The revolving crew of 14-to-18-year-olds rips through funk nuggets like Dennis Coffey's "Scorpio" and Isaac Hayes' "Do Your Thing" (and some originals) as if their last names were Stubblefield, Parker, and Wesley. But does this archaeological dig have to cover two discs, with studio and live versions of many of the same songs? Just sayin'. Essentially, this is highly funky material from high school kids who definitely knew something about jammin' on the one.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player