Kid 606 Kill Sound Before Sound Kills You
- Words: Heath K. Hignight
- Label: Ipecac
With his third LP, Kill Sound..., Miguel Depedro (alias Kid606) goes from laptop jock and mash-up impresario to bona fide culture recycler, skimming off the best ten seconds (and there usually were only ten seconds) of early '90s rave anthems and molding them into ragga, breakcore, dancehall and post-noise simulacra. Each tune is a dance music time capsule. For the quickstep thriller "Ecstacy Motherfucker," Depedro ravages rave classics from N.A.S.A., DJ Hype, Yolk and at least 20 others. If you're familiar with the original tracks, listening to Kill Sound... feels like failing an Alzheimer's test; for the rest of the world, it simply makes for top-notch dance-punk entertainment.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- MP3Shiva "Dark Moon"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player