Kid 606 Shout at the Döner
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
- Label: Tigerbeat6
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Miguel Depedro may have relocated to Berlin, but the man still knows how make a hyperactive racket. Kid 606 has been creeping into dancefloor territory for a while now, but Shout at the Döner is his first release to effectively combine the sonic mayhem of Depedro’s early glitch records with his love for the speaker-rattling sounds of bassline, electro, hardcore, and old-school rave. “Mr. Wobble’s Nightmare” transforms 4Hero’s rave classic “Mr. Kirk’s Nightmare” into a menacing wobble-bass anthem, “Samhain, California” could be an updated take on Nitzer Ebb, and low-end workouts such as “Dancehall of the Dead” and “Monsters” sound like Trouble & Bass on amphetamines. The music may be dense, but this aural assault is made for dancing.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsHear Dntel's Upcoming LP for Leaving/Stones Throw
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player