Kidz in the Hall The In Crowd
- Words: Max Herman
- Label: Duck Down
- XLR8R Rating: 7.5/10
Pushing substantial hip-hop to the public can be a tricky undertaking, which the Chicago/Jersey act Kidz in the Hall is well aware of. With their sophomore set, MC Naledge and producer Double-O spare some of the righteousness exhibited on their debut without necessarily dumbing it down. The bass-centric “Drivin’ Down the Block” makes for the ideal summertime cruising anthem while the jazzy “Snob Hop” is a straight shot of lyrical flossing. Despite not making the most thought-provoking tracks, the Kidz accomplish exactly what they set out to do with style. The duo doesn’t always hit their target–which is painfully clear on the messy, R&B-tinged “Love Hangover”–but overall they’re one step closer to achieving mass appeal.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player