Kieran Hebden and Steve Reid The Exchange Session Vol. 2
- Words: Max Herman
- Label: Domino
On the second part of the real-time soundclash between instrumentalist Kieran Hebden and drummer/jazzman Steve Reid, these two sonic innovators manage to match the spontaneous chaos of the first Exchange Session. What begins as an ambient experience transforms into a blast of sampled horns and bleeps on track one, and then cools down into a tribal-like tranquility on track two only to re-intensify; the eerie calm of the third and final track properly closes out this exploratory union. How Reid and Hebden manage to keep up with each other here is baffling and, if anything, their inexplicable chemistry is primarily what makes these albums worthwhile.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
XLR8R Downloads Player