Kieran Hebden and Steve Reid Tongues
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Domin
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
British laptop musician Kieran Hebden (Four Tet) and legendary jazz drummer Steve Reid's two previous releases generated much challenging improv jazztronica. Both discs abounded with sonically adventurous and spiritually fulfilling spontaneous creativity. Tongues features more concise pieces that foreshadow some fantastic new species of noise rock and genre-defying experimentation. It's a shocking turn of events, but Tongues rivets from start to finish. The duo is both unchained and disciplined, two masters thriving in a "hellbent for freedom" scenario. Hebden has never unleashed a more staggering array of digital freakery, while Reid matches him with phenomenal athleticism.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsThe Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Untold, Tycho, Jam City, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player