- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Ghostly International
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Never the types to hog the spotlight, despite their instrumental prowess, Michigan-based KILN, the trio of Kevin Hayes, Kirk Marrison, and Clark Rehberg III puts out little in the way of biographical information and, in fact, never plays live; their hushed instrumentals are similarly unassuming. Simple melodic structures act as scaffolding for an ebb-and-flow array of sounds: creaks, pops, crinkles, cricket chirps, even static fuzz on “Rustdusk.” The result is gentle, unhurried, and comforting, building through cycles so that changes come gradually. KILN risks sleepiness and preciousness, but largely avoid both with their rich, intriguing textures.
- NewsWatch the Video for Clark's "Riff Through the Fog"
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
- NewsMaya Jane Coles to Helm Next Fabric Mix Album
XLR8R Downloads Player