- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Ghostly International
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Never the types to hog the spotlight, despite their instrumental prowess, Michigan-based KILN, the trio of Kevin Hayes, Kirk Marrison, and Clark Rehberg III puts out little in the way of biographical information and, in fact, never plays live; their hushed instrumentals are similarly unassuming. Simple melodic structures act as scaffolding for an ebb-and-flow array of sounds: creaks, pops, crinkles, cricket chirps, even static fuzz on “Rustdusk.” The result is gentle, unhurried, and comforting, building through cycles so that changes come gradually. KILN risks sleepiness and preciousness, but largely avoid both with their rich, intriguing textures.
- PodcastDJ Koze
- FeatureXLR8R's Best of 2013: Top Downloads (60 - 41)
- NewsLevon Vincent Announces Open Call for Artist Apprenticeship in Berlin
- FeatureHi-Five - Snoop Dogg Selects His Five Favorite Dam-Funk Tunes and Dam-Funk Selects His Five Favorite Snoop Tracks
- MP3Nils Frahm "You (Teen Daze Remix)"
XLR8R Downloads Player