- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Ghostly International
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Never the types to hog the spotlight, despite their instrumental prowess, Michigan-based KILN, the trio of Kevin Hayes, Kirk Marrison, and Clark Rehberg III puts out little in the way of biographical information and, in fact, never plays live; their hushed instrumentals are similarly unassuming. Simple melodic structures act as scaffolding for an ebb-and-flow array of sounds: creaks, pops, crinkles, cricket chirps, even static fuzz on “Rustdusk.” The result is gentle, unhurried, and comforting, building through cycles so that changes come gradually. KILN risks sleepiness and preciousness, but largely avoid both with their rich, intriguing textures.
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player