King Kong Rumble Jumble Life
- Words: Jesse Serwer
- Label: Massive B
This Bobby Konders-curated collection features unsung dancehall pioneer King Kong voicing several decades worth of classic riddims, from Cuss Cuss ("Rumble Jumble Life") to Stalag ("Call Mr. Madden") and Penicillin ("They Don‘t Know"). While the tunes are roots consciousness all the way, Kong sounds just as good on bouncier recent dancehall riddims like Wanted, upon which he tackles the sociology behind today‘s out-of-control youth for the tune "Bag Juice (And Cheese Chips)." Kong might epitomize dancehall‘s old school, but with his Tenor Saw-like warble and creative approach to standard lyrical themes ("Call Mr. Madden" warns the famed Jamaican coffinmaker that defeated soundbwoys are headed his way), everything sounds timeless.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- NewsListen to a New Track from Teebs' Upcoming Sophomore LP
XLR8R Downloads Player