King Kong Rumble Jumble Life
- Words: Jesse Serwer
- Label: Massive B
This Bobby Konders-curated collection features unsung dancehall pioneer King Kong voicing several decades worth of classic riddims, from Cuss Cuss ("Rumble Jumble Life") to Stalag ("Call Mr. Madden") and Penicillin ("They Don‘t Know"). While the tunes are roots consciousness all the way, Kong sounds just as good on bouncier recent dancehall riddims like Wanted, upon which he tackles the sociology behind today‘s out-of-control youth for the tune "Bag Juice (And Cheese Chips)." Kong might epitomize dancehall‘s old school, but with his Tenor Saw-like warble and creative approach to standard lyrical themes ("Call Mr. Madden" warns the famed Jamaican coffinmaker that defeated soundbwoys are headed his way), everything sounds timeless.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player