- Words: Susanna Bolle
- Label: Schematic
First impressions can often mislead. Indeed' still can't figure out what I was thinking when I first heard Chaotech. For some reason, at first listen, the quiet joys of Kiyo's shimmering, deftly textured electronics were lost on me. Thankfully' eventually woke up to the subtle pleasures of this full-length debut by the Miami label's least abrasive adherent. Though the crunchy beats and machine-age clank that are Schematic's bread and butter are in plentiful supply, Kiyo is best when he's at his most abstract, creating warm, richly textured soundscapes that gradually coalesce into an undulating groove, rather than simply grounding them with a hip-hop beat. Most definitely worth a second look.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- NewsListen to Slam's Upcoming 'Reverse Proceed' LP for Soma
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player