Kleinschmager Audio Audiology
- Words: Rob Geary
- Label: Rrygular
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
All you really need to know about engineer/DJ Joern Kleinschmager and producer Niklas Worgt's relentless dedication to ultra-minimalist Germanic techno is right in the middle of Kleinschmager Audio's Audiology on “1999.” A chugging, unapologetically mechanical beat hovers just south of uptempo. A seven-note melody emerges and repeats insistently, joined occasionally by a slight variant, both dialed into computer-exact pitches. Add a thunderous bassline echoing away somewhere underground, a garbled, growling vocal sample, and various pings and pops, and the music’s eternal, hypnotic power becomes clear. Audiology features flashes of dubspace and even a touch of house and Steve Reich-style overlapping speech samples on “Audio 3,” but these are dark, endless beats all the way through.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player