Kleinschmager Audio Audiology
- Words: Rob Geary
- Label: Rrygular
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
All you really need to know about engineer/DJ Joern Kleinschmager and producer Niklas Worgt's relentless dedication to ultra-minimalist Germanic techno is right in the middle of Kleinschmager Audio's Audiology on “1999.” A chugging, unapologetically mechanical beat hovers just south of uptempo. A seven-note melody emerges and repeats insistently, joined occasionally by a slight variant, both dialed into computer-exact pitches. Add a thunderous bassline echoing away somewhere underground, a garbled, growling vocal sample, and various pings and pops, and the music’s eternal, hypnotic power becomes clear. Audiology features flashes of dubspace and even a touch of house and Steve Reich-style overlapping speech samples on “Audio 3,” but these are dark, endless beats all the way through.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player