Kleinschmager Audio Audiology
- Words: Rob Geary
- Label: Rrygular
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
All you really need to know about engineer/DJ Joern Kleinschmager and producer Niklas Worgt's relentless dedication to ultra-minimalist Germanic techno is right in the middle of Kleinschmager Audio's Audiology on “1999.” A chugging, unapologetically mechanical beat hovers just south of uptempo. A seven-note melody emerges and repeats insistently, joined occasionally by a slight variant, both dialed into computer-exact pitches. Add a thunderous bassline echoing away somewhere underground, a garbled, growling vocal sample, and various pings and pops, and the music’s eternal, hypnotic power becomes clear. Audiology features flashes of dubspace and even a touch of house and Steve Reich-style overlapping speech samples on “Audio 3,” but these are dark, endless beats all the way through.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player