Konrad Black Watergate 03
- Words: Brandon Bussolini
- Label: Watergate
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
A co-founder of the Wagon Repair label, Berlin-via-Vancouver techno producer Konrad Black’s sound is rooted in the patience of minimal techno, but draws on drum & bass for certain low-end sounds. Watergate 03, the eponymous Berlin club’s third mix, follows Onur Özer’s and Sascha Funke’s initial entries with a slightly moodier selection. The exclusive tracks here—“Siamese Connection,” a collaboration between Black and Martin Buttrich, and the superb “Walking on the Hands That Follow Me,” a preview of Mathew Jonson’s upcoming 12”—pinpoint the mix’s spooky, cusp-of-Sunday undercurrent. The Matthew Dear and Seth Troxler collaboration and Loco Dice selection are par for the (post-)minimal course, though Black’s deft hand leaves a few loose stitches for unexpected details to come sputtering through.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player