Koushik Out My Window
- Words: Max Herman
- Label: Stones Throw
On his proper debut, vocalist/producer Koushik crafts tunes that are beyond airy. Inspired heavily by ’60s psych vibes, the Vermont-based multi-talent sings in an ethereal lull and produces with a gentle hand. His penchant for trippiness can sometimes lead him to steer too close to a sleepy state, like on the minimalist number “Ifoundu.” But Koushik’s hypnotic sounds are more often funky enough to tap your foot along to. The intricate and dream-like groove of “Be With” is beautiful, with the string samples and all the carefully executed details weaving in and out of the downtempo drums. And as a testament to his versatility, Koushik showcases his hip-hop influences on the minute-long instrumentals placed sparingly throughout the album–most impressively on the flute-laced “Forest Loop.” With his first long-player, Koushik proves to have found his comfort zone among all the airiness while also allowing room for growth.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player