LAL Warm Belly, High Power
- Words: Rob Geary
- Label: Public Transit
Around the time trip-hop went incognito as "downtempo," boy-girl duo LAL dropped Corners, a breaks-and-vocals effort that unjustly vanished. Five years on, Warm Belly, High Power sends Rosina Kazi‘s lush and nuanced vocals through a conceptual tour of Southeast Asia across the four seasons. Nick Murray keeps the beats up to the high standards of today‘s future jazz programming-check the warped shuffle of "Dancing the Same," the winding bass and negative space in "Creep" or the softly evolving slow-mo jungle dub "Brown Eyed Warrior"-while deftly integrating guest percussionists on tablas, sitars and more. Hot like slow summer nights.
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsWatch a New Video for Fatima's "Rest in Peace"
- NewsIkonika Streams New Track from Upcoming Hyperdub EP, Drops New Mix
- MP3Remote "Alcyone (Matt Walsh Remix)"
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player