Lars Horntveth Kaleidoscopic
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
- Label: Smalltown Supersound
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
The simple fact that Kaleidoscopic consists of a single, 37-minute composition makes this an intimidating record. Admittedly striving for grandiosity, Horntveth has created something that, purely in terms of scope, quickly surpasses his debut album, Pooka, and his usual work with Jaga Jazzist. This is post-rock writ large... and created in collaboration with the 41 members of the Latvian National Orchestra. Yet this is no classical bore—more akin to a film score, the emotive string arrangements, serene clarinet melodies, and other orchestral flourishes beautifully fill out the composition. More than anything, Kaleidoscopic is a pleasant listen—kudos to Horntveth for going big without going over the top.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player