Lars Horntveth Kaleidoscopic
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
- Label: Smalltown Supersound
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
The simple fact that Kaleidoscopic consists of a single, 37-minute composition makes this an intimidating record. Admittedly striving for grandiosity, Horntveth has created something that, purely in terms of scope, quickly surpasses his debut album, Pooka, and his usual work with Jaga Jazzist. This is post-rock writ large... and created in collaboration with the 41 members of the Latvian National Orchestra. Yet this is no classical bore—more akin to a film score, the emotive string arrangements, serene clarinet melodies, and other orchestral flourishes beautifully fill out the composition. More than anything, Kaleidoscopic is a pleasant listen—kudos to Horntveth for going big without going over the top.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player