Las Malas Amistades Patio Bonito
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Honest Jon's
- XLR8R Rating: 4/10
If this album sounds haphazard, there's a reason for that: The Colombian art students that meet to play music together as Las Malas Amistades make up their music at those sessions, using a charity-shop synth, a grab bag of percussion, and a few other instruments to record their bright lo-fi electro-acoustic pop. As a result, the album feels unrehearsed and fresh, raw and intimate. But it also feels, in some ways, lazy. A little structure, some revision, and a willingness to craft songs over the long haul would have made a world of difference here. For every head-turning snippet, there's at least three eye-rolling twee moments. Sporadically interesting at best.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player