LCD Soundsystem Sound of Silver
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: DFA-Capitol
LCD Soundsystem's James Murphy is a canny studio Zelig who refracts multifold styles through his rarefied sensibilities. Sound of Silver surpasses LCD's patchy 2005 debut album, achieving a scintillating balance between high-NRG rhythmic verve and appealing melodies. Disregarding maudlin piano ballad "New York I Love You," LCD loads their second LP with perpetual-motion machine grooves (often glazed with odd electronic effects and accentuated by cowbells). "Get Innocuous" sets the tone, merging the clipped synth wiggle from Kraftwerk's "The Robots" with Murphy's monkish intonations. Silver abounds with funky dance-rock anthems that'll please both bedroom trainspotters and clubbers seeking uplifting bangers.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player