Lee Jones Electronic Frank
- Words: David Hemingway
- Label: Aus
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
Lee Jones is one third of Berlin-based collective MyMy, whose Songs for the Gentle was one of the most beguiling long-players of 2006. While that album featured horses on the cover, Electronic Frank is adorned with a zebra; Jones’ debut solo album could well be seen as a similar genetic mutation. Though Jones apparently relocated to the German capital for love not music, Electronic Frank plays, in part, like a (relatively restrained) paean to his adopted hometown and the club culture he discovered there. This is most explicit on standout track “MDMAzing,”which makes reference to deep house and techno but is littered with all manner of samples (cocktail piano, strings, elephants). All good stuff, albeit not quite up there with MyMy’s output.
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- NewsWatch a Short Documentary with Jeff Mills
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsSBTRKT Drops Video for "New Dorp. New York"
- GearArtist Tips: Peter Van Hoesen on How to Listen More Effectively
XLR8R Downloads Player