Liars Drum‘s Not Dead
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Mute
On their third album, Liars combines an eerie, otherworldly aura with a scathingly visceral attack as they simultaneously craft haunting, caressing melodies and calming, diaphanous atmospheres. Sure, Liars can Sturm und Drang with the best klangmeisters around, but they also realize the importance of beauty (albeit one embossed with bruises of myriad psychedelic hues). Drum‘s Not Dead unsurprisingly stresses robust tom-tom thumps, which emphatically punctuate the trio‘s bizarrely distorted guitar (or is it a flanged didgeridoo?) and singer Angus Andrew‘s falsettos and My Bloody Valentine-like coos (a few tracks recall MBV‘s Isn‘t Anything). Overall, this is Liars‘ most emotionally captivating and menacingly tuneful work. They‘re improving with (r)age.
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player