Lisa Shaw Cherry
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Naked
Lisa Shaw's smooth vocals are well known to house heads, but if commercial American radio weren't so lame, she'd be known just as well to R&B fans on the strength of her first full-length. Showcasing her popular smooth vocals (previous releases include "Always" and Lovetronic's "You Are Love"), Cherry leans into both laid-back house and lush, seductive R&B. "Matter of Time" juxtaposes dreamy vocals over stuttery percussion, and the bittersweet "When I" even approaches radio-friendliness. Shaw's house background comes out in tracks such as "Born to Fly," a synth-laced dancefloor pleaser that sounds made for 3 a.m.. As it happens, Shaw originally worked on a different set of material years ago, but label pressures and timelines prompted her to start over, this time with producers Jay Denes and Eric Stamile. This might not be the album she (or her fans) expected, but it's been worth the wait nonetheless.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player