Lotus Plaza The Floodlight Collective
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
- Label: Kranky
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Although Deerhunter frontman Bradford Cox’s oddball antics may snag all the headlines, much of the band’s signature swirling reverb can be traced back to guitarist Lockett Pundt. The Floodlight Collective is Pundt’s debut solo album, and Deerhunter fans will be delighted to know that Lotus Plaza is powered by a similar brand of shoegazing psychedelia. Yet this is much more than a retread—simply put, The Floodlight Collective is a gorgeous album filled with seemingly endless melodies that glide, drip, and melt into one another. While Pundt does sing on the record (quite nicely), his vocals are often purposely buried in the mix, ultimately registering as just another harmonic hum in a warm sea of spacey pop sounds.
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsWatch a New Video for Fatima's "Rest in Peace"
- NewsIkonika Streams New Track from Upcoming Hyperdub EP, Drops New Mix
- MP3Remote "Alcyone (Matt Walsh Remix)"
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player