Lotus Plaza The Floodlight Collective
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
- Label: Kranky
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Although Deerhunter frontman Bradford Cox’s oddball antics may snag all the headlines, much of the band’s signature swirling reverb can be traced back to guitarist Lockett Pundt. The Floodlight Collective is Pundt’s debut solo album, and Deerhunter fans will be delighted to know that Lotus Plaza is powered by a similar brand of shoegazing psychedelia. Yet this is much more than a retread—simply put, The Floodlight Collective is a gorgeous album filled with seemingly endless melodies that glide, drip, and melt into one another. While Pundt does sing on the record (quite nicely), his vocals are often purposely buried in the mix, ultimately registering as just another harmonic hum in a warm sea of spacey pop sounds.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player