Low Drums and Guns
- Words: Cameron Cook
- Label: Sub Pop
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Let's bury the hatchet Like The Beatles and The Stones, sings married couple Alan Sparhawk and Mimi Parker on "Hatchet," halfway through their band's latest album. That's one of the refreshing things about Low: While their music is intelligent, sometimes even somber, there's an underlying playfulness that conveys a genuine love for music. The lull of songs like "Breaker," with its sparse handclaps and wavering vocals, sets the tone of Drums and Guns, a comforting patchwork of indie ballads complemented by Sparhawk's and Parker's reassuring harmonies. The result is great music to both chill out and reflect to.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player