Low Drums and Guns
- Words: Cameron Cook
- Label: Sub Pop
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Let's bury the hatchet Like The Beatles and The Stones, sings married couple Alan Sparhawk and Mimi Parker on "Hatchet," halfway through their band's latest album. That's one of the refreshing things about Low: While their music is intelligent, sometimes even somber, there's an underlying playfulness that conveys a genuine love for music. The lull of songs like "Breaker," with its sparse handclaps and wavering vocals, sets the tone of Drums and Guns, a comforting patchwork of indie ballads complemented by Sparhawk's and Parker's reassuring harmonies. The result is great music to both chill out and reflect to.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player