Luciano Jah Is My Navigator
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: VP
- XLR8R Rating: 6.5/10
Roots singer Luciano has been plenty creative since 1995, releasing over 40 albums. Granted, there’s been plenty of generic material, and Jah Is My Navigator mixes worthwhile with mundane. Slightly overproduced and predictable, the man’s voice still carries plenty of weight, especially when things are mellow, as on the soft, R&B-inflected “Paradise Liberty.” (If the voice sounds familiar on the Peter Tosh cover, “I’m the Tuffest,” it should–it belongs to the Rastaman’s son, Andrew.) Songs like “African Liberty” and “Wise Up Youth” are exactly the anthem-like cries you’d expect, making them slightly irrelevant. But when Luciano turns everything low, save for piano, violin, and voice, “Jah Canopy/Hard Herbs” is the kind of song that lasts for generations.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player