Lullatone Presents the Bedtime Beat
- Words: Josiah Hughes
- Label: Someone Good
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Originally forming when Louisville, Kentucky-based performer Shawn James Seymour met vocalist Yoshimi Tomida in college, this Japan-based lap-pop team now has six albums full of miniature melodies and wide-eyed wonder. The Bedtime Beat, the duo’s sixth proper full-length, is a mini-concept album about sleep and dreams. If it sounds a little precious, that’s because it is: throughout the record, beats are crafted from snoring (“Your Snore”) and splashing bath water (“The Bathtime Beat”), while Yoshimi dreams about Biz Markie (“The Bedtime Beatbox”). At 20 minutes long, however, the quirkiness doesn’t annoy, instead emphasizing the kindness in lullabies like “Oyasumi.” Brief, comforting, and consistent, The Bedtime Beat will find an easy place in your heart.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- MP3Desto "Healing (Alternate Take)"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player