Lullatone Presents the Bedtime Beat
- Words: Josiah Hughes
- Label: Someone Good
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Originally forming when Louisville, Kentucky-based performer Shawn James Seymour met vocalist Yoshimi Tomida in college, this Japan-based lap-pop team now has six albums full of miniature melodies and wide-eyed wonder. The Bedtime Beat, the duo’s sixth proper full-length, is a mini-concept album about sleep and dreams. If it sounds a little precious, that’s because it is: throughout the record, beats are crafted from snoring (“Your Snore”) and splashing bath water (“The Bathtime Beat”), while Yoshimi dreams about Biz Markie (“The Bedtime Beatbox”). At 20 minutes long, however, the quirkiness doesn’t annoy, instead emphasizing the kindness in lullabies like “Oyasumi.” Brief, comforting, and consistent, The Bedtime Beat will find an easy place in your heart.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player