- Words: Rachel Shimp
- Label: Huume
- XLR8R Rating: 8.5/10
If Convivial were a dinner party, prolific producer Sasu Ripatti (a.k.a. Vladislav Delay) prepared by setting the china, polishing the silver, and inviting the glitterati. His fourth, fabulous album refines his exacting style while simultaneously breaking the steely micro mold of 2006's Paper Tigers. Here, frequent vocalist Johanna Iivanainen gossips in the corner with Cassy, while Robert Owens and Scissor Sisters' Jake Shears toast to the absurdity of human emotion. Sue Cie raps, and the increasingly dramatic Sascha Ring (a.k.a. Apparat) invokes Depeche Mode (on the only track that doesn‘t sound like a Ripatti creation). Luomo's signature underwater-dub veneer is still there, strengthened by the eccentricities of his glamorous guests.
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player