- Words: Rachel Shimp
- Label: Huume
- XLR8R Rating: 8.5/10
If Convivial were a dinner party, prolific producer Sasu Ripatti (a.k.a. Vladislav Delay) prepared by setting the china, polishing the silver, and inviting the glitterati. His fourth, fabulous album refines his exacting style while simultaneously breaking the steely micro mold of 2006's Paper Tigers. Here, frequent vocalist Johanna Iivanainen gossips in the corner with Cassy, while Robert Owens and Scissor Sisters' Jake Shears toast to the absurdity of human emotion. Sue Cie raps, and the increasingly dramatic Sascha Ring (a.k.a. Apparat) invokes Depeche Mode (on the only track that doesn‘t sound like a Ripatti creation). Luomo's signature underwater-dub veneer is still there, strengthened by the eccentricities of his glamorous guests.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- NewsWatch Holly Herndon's Video for New Single, "Home"
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player