Lusine A Certain Distance
The latest from Seattle-based beatmaker Lusine (a.k.a. Jeff McIlwain) pulls memorable, unexpected electronic pop moments out of ethereal loops and ambient sound. With the exception of the microhouse-leaning "Every Disguise," Lusine's latest efforts seem to be focused on headphone-friendly IDM. Lead single "Two Dots" builds from an echoed vocal loop into the album's most memorable hook, care of guest vocalist Vilja Larjosto, who layers her verses into spiraling harmony until Lusine's delicate synth arrangement takes over. At its best moments, A Certain Distance impressively balances minimal and more fleshed-out electro-pop; however, if Lusine is capable of more tracks like "Two Dots," one can't help but hope he explores more of the latter on his next record.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- NewsWatch Holly Herndon's Video for New Single, "Home"
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player