Lusine A Certain Distance
The latest from Seattle-based beatmaker Lusine (a.k.a. Jeff McIlwain) pulls memorable, unexpected electronic pop moments out of ethereal loops and ambient sound. With the exception of the microhouse-leaning "Every Disguise," Lusine's latest efforts seem to be focused on headphone-friendly IDM. Lead single "Two Dots" builds from an echoed vocal loop into the album's most memorable hook, care of guest vocalist Vilja Larjosto, who layers her verses into spiraling harmony until Lusine's delicate synth arrangement takes over. At its best moments, A Certain Distance impressively balances minimal and more fleshed-out electro-pop; however, if Lusine is capable of more tracks like "Two Dots," one can't help but hope he explores more of the latter on his next record.
- GearArtist Tips: Peter Van Hoesen on How to Listen More Effectively
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- MP3Clap! Clap! "Ashiko (Lurka Obeah Remix)"
- NewsSBTRKT Drops Video for "New Dorp. New York"
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
XLR8R Downloads Player