M83 Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghost
- Words: Rob Geary
- Label: Mute
Sometimes you play music. Other times music plays you. French duo M83 picks up where Air left off, and creates something that could be called electrogaze. Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts delivers the melancholy promised by the title, with tidal sweeps of synthesizer and wordless sighs tumbling throughout, but the mysterious uplift of bands like Spiritualized is at play here too. Choruses of organs, digital murmurs, burbling drum machines and more combine to create a sonic vortex that is all but impossible not to fall into. Simultaneously forbidding and inviting, M83 delivers the comfort of the familiar along with the shock of the new.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player