Madvillain Madvillainy 2: The Madlib Remix
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
- Label: Stones Throw
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Ever since the 2004 release of the widely acclaimed Madvillainy, hip-hop heads have been waiting for more material from the legendary MF Doom and Madlib collaboration. Although a proper follow-up is supposedly in the works, apparently even Madlib himself got tired of waiting for Doom to pitch in and decided to rework the entire first album in the meantime. Released both digitally and as part of a limited-edition box set, Madvillainy 2 features all-new instrumentals soundtracking MF Doom’s distinctive weed-obsessed superhero raps. As always, Madlib’s production is on point, as he samples a litany of obscure jazz, funk, and soul tunes and once again laces the album with oddball interludes and vocal snippets that keep things amusing. A worthy flip of a now-classic album, Madvillainy 2 will surely please the diehards until Doom can find his way out from behind his iron mask and finish that new Madvillain record.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player