Maga Bo Archipelagoes
- Words: Matt Earp
- Label: Soot
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
A Tribe Called Quest’s lyrics for “Award Tour” seem particularly suited for Maga Bo–“He’s on a world tour, with Mohammed his man, going each and every place with the mic in his hand, Cape Town, Zanzibar, Dakkar, Morocco…” Rio’s globetrotting sound recordist has used his day job to hip-hop and dance music’s benefit for a while now, collaborating with vocal artists completely off most westerners’ radars. When fiery delivery from MCs like Bigg, K-Libre, Xuman, Teba, and others get laced together with Bo’s deep understanding of global musical timbres and a keen appreciation for booty-shaking beat science, the result is the favela on blast Diplo strives for but doesn’t always achieve. Outta-national? Globalista? Sure, but Bo is speaker-bangin’ before all else.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player