Magic Arrows Sweet Heavenly Angel Of Death
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Wobblyhead
Perhaps accidentally, Wisconsin producer Magic Arrows (Scott Beschta) has revitalized the unfashionable trip-hop genre. The time's ripe for a revival, and Sweet Heavenly Angel Of Death could be the catalyst-or it could simply work as one of those albums to which you'll wanna get buzzed. Opener "Uptown Devils" portends the blissed gist with a stretched "oohh" sample (Beach Boys?), an FX'ed blues-rock guitar riff, and a blasé funk rhythm akin to early Howie B. The bulk of Sweet is repetitive, but utterly hypnotic, stoned to the bone with no direction home and infusing a sublime ennui with blunted patience.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsWatch Holly Herndon's Video for New Single, "Home"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player