Mahjongg Raydoncong 2005
- Words: Alexis Georgopoulos
- Label: Cold Crush
Named after the ancient Chinese card game that experienced considerable popularity in America after Westerners discovered it in the international colony of Shanghai, this Chicago/ Missouri quintet specializes in the kind of white funk that comes from listening to records from Africa to, erm, Shanghai. Like their debut Machinegong EP, Raydoncong reveals links to Remain in Light-era Talking Heads, "Overpowered By Funk"-era Clash, and perhaps even a little Bowie. But rather than come off like the most recent punk-funk appropriators preparing for stylized press shots, the group‘s loosely structured jams are refreshing, earnest, and just plain fun.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Rubadub
- NewsStream Submerse's Upcoming Debut Full-Length, 'Slow Waves'
- NewsCheck Out Another Track from Rustie's Upcoming LP for Warp
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsRicardo Villalobos Readies 'Voodog' 12"; Preview It Now
XLR8R Downloads Player