Mahjongg Raydoncong 2005
- Words: Alexis Georgopoulos
- Label: Cold Crush
Named after the ancient Chinese card game that experienced considerable popularity in America after Westerners discovered it in the international colony of Shanghai, this Chicago/ Missouri quintet specializes in the kind of white funk that comes from listening to records from Africa to, erm, Shanghai. Like their debut Machinegong EP, Raydoncong reveals links to Remain in Light-era Talking Heads, "Overpowered By Funk"-era Clash, and perhaps even a little Bowie. But rather than come off like the most recent punk-funk appropriators preparing for stylized press shots, the group‘s loosely structured jams are refreshing, earnest, and just plain fun.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
XLR8R Downloads Player