Mahjongg Raydoncong 2005
- Words: Alexis Georgopoulos
- Label: Cold Crush
Named after the ancient Chinese card game that experienced considerable popularity in America after Westerners discovered it in the international colony of Shanghai, this Chicago/ Missouri quintet specializes in the kind of white funk that comes from listening to records from Africa to, erm, Shanghai. Like their debut Machinegong EP, Raydoncong reveals links to Remain in Light-era Talking Heads, "Overpowered By Funk"-era Clash, and perhaps even a little Bowie. But rather than come off like the most recent punk-funk appropriators preparing for stylized press shots, the group‘s loosely structured jams are refreshing, earnest, and just plain fun.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player