Major Lazer Guns Don't Kill People...Lazers Do
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
- Label: Downtown
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Baile funk, Baltimore club, fidget house, kuduro, M.I.A., Santigold…these are just some of the sounds and artists that Diplo and Switch have championed in recent years. While the two super-producers certainly haven’t acted alone, they are the de facto leaders of the “global bass” movement. On Guns Don’t Kill People, the duo has teamed up to tackle yet another third-world sound—dancehall. Recorded in Jamaica with a slew of a-list MCs, the album is an up-and-down affair that sounds like, well, Diplo and Switch making dancehall. While pot anthem “Mary Jane” is a juvenile misfire, digital bangers like “When You Hear the Bassline” and especially “Pon De Floor” (feat. Vybz Kartel) properly rave up the proceedings. The dulcet tones of Mr. Vegas and Jovi Rockwell sweetly color the chilled reggae of “Can’t Stop Now,” and the riddim fashioned from an AutoTuned crying infant on “Baby” is pretty undeniable.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player