Manitoba Up In Flames
- Words: Selena Hs
- Label: Domino
The cover art of Up in Flames features photos skewed through some hypercolor lens, staining all with a dense, polychrome psychedelic glow. It's perfect for Dan Snaith's second folktronic album, a shambling, delicately dazzling mess that sets off gorgeous pyrotechnics throughout. "Skunks"'s pastoral, fat twanging beat fills out with sizzling walls of ambience and a flittering, free-skronking horn. "Hendrix with Ko" launches skywards with a Beach Boys ode, sunny harp and a big break, full of yellow gold rays bending at impossible angles, and ending with the super-catchiest rollicking handclap outro. For dizzying spirals you can ooh and aaah to, this album stuns and stuns again. Blaze on.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player