Marc Houle Bay of Figs
- Words: Rachel Shimp
- Label: Minus
If any electronic style should earn the adjective "intelligent," it‘s Richie Hawtin's acquisitions for Minus: music that, for most people, is enjoyed with the head, not the heart. Protégé Marc Houle's second full-length is an exercise in negative space, threaded with intentionally (it seems) irritating textures that are more suited to helping you finish the Sunday NY Times crossword than start a party. Bay of Figs' clinical minimalism is upset by the warm handclaps and funky bounce of "Thirds In Trees," which would sound sublime in any techno set. Houle's sense of melodic humor could leave you pleasantly perplexed.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
XLR8R Downloads Player