Mark Farina Live in Tokyo
- Words: Janet Tzou
- Label: Om
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Chi-Town’s Mark Farina brought his love of sax-dipped notes and jazzy house to his adopted city of San Francisco many years ago, and his following has endured. His Live in Tokyo mix opens with some unnecessary intro in Japanese, but quickly melts into the mellow instrumental and vocal-steeped house grooves that Farina is known for. With this type of house music, a little variation goes a long way; if anything, Farina keeps his mix a bit too locked at the same flow throughout most of this set. Look for Greenskeepers’ “Trouble” and Freaks’ “Boiling Point” to add some funky, hip-swiveling snares and percussive edge to this upbeat mix.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player