Mark Farina Live in Tokyo
- Words: Janet Tzou
- Label: Om
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Chi-Town’s Mark Farina brought his love of sax-dipped notes and jazzy house to his adopted city of San Francisco many years ago, and his following has endured. His Live in Tokyo mix opens with some unnecessary intro in Japanese, but quickly melts into the mellow instrumental and vocal-steeped house grooves that Farina is known for. With this type of house music, a little variation goes a long way; if anything, Farina keeps his mix a bit too locked at the same flow throughout most of this set. Look for Greenskeepers’ “Trouble” and Freaks’ “Boiling Point” to add some funky, hip-swiveling snares and percussive edge to this upbeat mix.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player