Mark Ribot's Ceramic Dog Party Intellectuals
- Words: Eric Smillie
- Label: Pi Recordings
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
The title sums it up: Ceramic Dog guitarist Marc Ribot is an almost excessively intelligent musician, and he's ready to party. His bad-ass guitar playing has graced works by Tom Waits, Elvis Costello, the Lounge Lizards, and his own more experimental projects. Now, with the fine help of Shahzad Ismaily on bass and Moog and Xiu Xiu drummer/electronics man Ches Smith, he's bringing that goodness to the PA system of a hipster bar near you. The album's songs leap from a floor-stomping single of a title track to noise-rock to shimmering guitar notes to shuffle-and-clap ska. And, though it occasionally drifts too far into pastiche and noodling, it never gets too smart for its own good.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
XLR8R Downloads Player