Mark Ribot's Ceramic Dog Party Intellectuals
- Words: Eric Smillie
- Label: Pi Recordings
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
The title sums it up: Ceramic Dog guitarist Marc Ribot is an almost excessively intelligent musician, and he's ready to party. His bad-ass guitar playing has graced works by Tom Waits, Elvis Costello, the Lounge Lizards, and his own more experimental projects. Now, with the fine help of Shahzad Ismaily on bass and Moog and Xiu Xiu drummer/electronics man Ches Smith, he's bringing that goodness to the PA system of a hipster bar near you. The album's songs leap from a floor-stomping single of a title track to noise-rock to shimmering guitar notes to shuffle-and-clap ska. And, though it occasionally drifts too far into pastiche and noodling, it never gets too smart for its own good.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Aashton "I've Had Enough"
- NewsStream 'Gem Drops Four' Featuring The Range, Pixelord, Natasha Kmeto, Anenon, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player