- Words: Sam Chennault
- Label: Quannum
Ambush is the startling debut EP from Bay Area supergroup Maroons (Blackalicious' Chief Xcel and Latyrx's Lateef the Truth Seeker). On songs such as "Lester Hayes" and "Best of Me," Chief Xcel employs stabs of live instrumentation that pivot and pull against old-school drum breaks and buoyant bass lines. Lateef holds up his end of the bargain with his smooth wordplay. On "If" he rails against Bush, while "Beautiful You" finds him pondering existence. The balance between Lateef's heavy lyrics and the Chief's funky production is scrumptious, and we can only hope that this is a delectable appetizer for a proper full-length.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player