- Words: Sam Chennault
- Label: Quannum
Ambush is the startling debut EP from Bay Area supergroup Maroons (Blackalicious' Chief Xcel and Latyrx's Lateef the Truth Seeker). On songs such as "Lester Hayes" and "Best of Me," Chief Xcel employs stabs of live instrumentation that pivot and pull against old-school drum breaks and buoyant bass lines. Lateef holds up his end of the bargain with his smooth wordplay. On "If" he rails against Bush, while "Beautiful You" finds him pondering existence. The balance between Lateef's heavy lyrics and the Chief's funky production is scrumptious, and we can only hope that this is a delectable appetizer for a proper full-length.
- GearArtist Tips: Mister Saturday Night on the Importance of Building a Proper DJ Booth
- NewsWatch Ben UFO's RBMA Lecture
- MP3Machines in Heaven "Hindu Milk (Debukas Remix)"
- NewsStream Keysound's Upcoming 'Certified Connections' Compilation
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Maya Jane Coles, Joy Orbison, Mister Saturday Night, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player