- Words: Sam Chennault
- Label: Quannum
Ambush is the startling debut EP from Bay Area supergroup Maroons (Blackalicious' Chief Xcel and Latyrx's Lateef the Truth Seeker). On songs such as "Lester Hayes" and "Best of Me," Chief Xcel employs stabs of live instrumentation that pivot and pull against old-school drum breaks and buoyant bass lines. Lateef holds up his end of the bargain with his smooth wordplay. On "If" he rails against Bush, while "Beautiful You" finds him pondering existence. The balance between Lateef's heavy lyrics and the Chief's funky production is scrumptious, and we can only hope that this is a delectable appetizer for a proper full-length.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player