- Words: Sam Chennault
- Label: Quannum
Ambush is the startling debut EP from Bay Area supergroup Maroons (Blackalicious' Chief Xcel and Latyrx's Lateef the Truth Seeker). On songs such as "Lester Hayes" and "Best of Me," Chief Xcel employs stabs of live instrumentation that pivot and pull against old-school drum breaks and buoyant bass lines. Lateef holds up his end of the bargain with his smooth wordplay. On "If" he rails against Bush, while "Beautiful You" finds him pondering existence. The balance between Lateef's heavy lyrics and the Chief's funky production is scrumptious, and we can only hope that this is a delectable appetizer for a proper full-length.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player