Mars Black Folks Music
- Words: Patrick Sisson
- Label: Team Love
Coming out of Nebraska, where "all we got is beef," Omaha rapper Mars Black has a credibility gap before he even opens his mouth. Dropping his debut on Team Love-a label co-owned by emo wunderkind Conor Oberst-doesn‘t help. But Mars doesn‘t deny his hometown has more cornhuskers than cornrows as he drops witty lines about the Midwest while rapping about universal themes. Occasionally, Mars gets muddled in backpacker clichés or stuck on DJ/producer E. Babbs‘ stale beats, and things sound as flat as a cornfield. But his skills make this a respectable first effort, not just some cuts from the country.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player