Mathias Schaffh‚user Coincidance
- Words: Anna Balkrishna
- Label: Ware
If Cologne‘s techno scene were a public swimming pool, Mathias Schaffhäuser might represent the "deep" end-while he knows how to throw down dark and minimal, he also doesn‘t shy away from melody and emotion. This effect on Schaffhäuser‘s fifth album, Coincidance, can occasionally be overwrought: the sing-song vocals on this year‘s hit, "Truthology," may work on dancefloors but are quickly cloying here. The album is best when kept simple, as with the crunchy tech stomper "Episode 3" or the beautifully subdued "Dear Elliott," featuring acoustic guitar whispers from the late Elliott Smith‘s "Bled White."
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player