Mathias Schaffh‚user Coincidance
- Words: Anna Balkrishna
- Label: Ware
If Cologne‘s techno scene were a public swimming pool, Mathias Schaffhäuser might represent the "deep" end-while he knows how to throw down dark and minimal, he also doesn‘t shy away from melody and emotion. This effect on Schaffhäuser‘s fifth album, Coincidance, can occasionally be overwrought: the sing-song vocals on this year‘s hit, "Truthology," may work on dancefloors but are quickly cloying here. The album is best when kept simple, as with the crunchy tech stomper "Episode 3" or the beautifully subdued "Dear Elliott," featuring acoustic guitar whispers from the late Elliott Smith‘s "Bled White."
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsSpectral Sound Announces New EP from Patricia; Hear a Track Now
- MP3HolloH "Laying Awake"
- MP3Liar "Key Party (Spurz 'Key Bump' Edit)"
- NewsIkonika Streams New Track from Upcoming Hyperdub EP, Drops New Mix
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player