Mathias Schaffh‚user Coincidance
- Words: Anna Balkrishna
- Label: Ware
If Cologne‘s techno scene were a public swimming pool, Mathias Schaffhäuser might represent the "deep" end-while he knows how to throw down dark and minimal, he also doesn‘t shy away from melody and emotion. This effect on Schaffhäuser‘s fifth album, Coincidance, can occasionally be overwrought: the sing-song vocals on this year‘s hit, "Truthology," may work on dancefloors but are quickly cloying here. The album is best when kept simple, as with the crunchy tech stomper "Episode 3" or the beautifully subdued "Dear Elliott," featuring acoustic guitar whispers from the late Elliott Smith‘s "Bled White."
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Aashton "I've Had Enough"
- NewsStream 'Gem Drops Four' Featuring The Range, Pixelord, Natasha Kmeto, Anenon, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player