Matmos The Rose Has Teeth in the Mouth of a Beast
- Words: Robbie Mackey
- Label: Matador
What do Valerie Solanas (the feminist writer who shot Andy Warhol), Darby Crash (The Germs' lead singer who needled himself to an early grave), and William S. Burroughs (the pesticide fanatic who penned Naked Lunch) have in common? Why not ask Matmos, who drum up some scary aural homages to these figures and other debauched savants on their fifth studio album, The Rose Has Teeth in the Mouth of a Beast. Decidedly eerie in its exploration of the tortured soul, the record is a gritty, alien detour from the warmth of The Civil War, and maybe a bit too conceptual for its own good.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player