Matmos The Rose Has Teeth in the Mouth of a Beast
- Words: Robbie Mackey
- Label: Matador
What do Valerie Solanas (the feminist writer who shot Andy Warhol), Darby Crash (The Germs' lead singer who needled himself to an early grave), and William S. Burroughs (the pesticide fanatic who penned Naked Lunch) have in common? Why not ask Matmos, who drum up some scary aural homages to these figures and other debauched savants on their fifth studio album, The Rose Has Teeth in the Mouth of a Beast. Decidedly eerie in its exploration of the tortured soul, the record is a gritty, alien detour from the warmth of The Civil War, and maybe a bit too conceptual for its own good.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsMachinedrum Readies New Album for Ninja Tune
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
XLR8R Downloads Player