Matmos The Rose Has Teeth in the Mouth of a Beast
- Words: Robbie Mackey
- Label: Matador
What do Valerie Solanas (the feminist writer who shot Andy Warhol), Darby Crash (The Germs' lead singer who needled himself to an early grave), and William S. Burroughs (the pesticide fanatic who penned Naked Lunch) have in common? Why not ask Matmos, who drum up some scary aural homages to these figures and other debauched savants on their fifth studio album, The Rose Has Teeth in the Mouth of a Beast. Decidedly eerie in its exploration of the tortured soul, the record is a gritty, alien detour from the warmth of The Civil War, and maybe a bit too conceptual for its own good.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player