Matmos Supreme Balloon
- Words: Wyatt Williams
- Label: Matador
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
If there were any concerns that Drew Daniel’s new job as a professor at Johns Hopkins University would inhibit his work with partner M.C. Schmidt in Matmos, Supreme Balloon clears the air. The album might be their most sonically pleasing release yet. Flipping the switch on their usual concept-and-sample aesthetic, Matmos has made an album using only synths and no samples–we’re treated to a fun set of beat-driven, short, abstract-pop songs. The main attraction here is the epic title track: A slow-burning and oscillating psych-Kraut jam that runs nearly a half hour long, “Supreme Balloon” cranks up the synthesized heat and rises off into the distance.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Aashton "I've Had Enough"
- NewsStream 'Gem Drops Four' Featuring The Range, Pixelord, Natasha Kmeto, Anenon, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player